Monday, January 10, 2011

Fun Day with Family & Friends

We had an extension of our Christmas Celebration with the arrival of our daughter and family from Tampa, FL  where they are travel nurses.  They came home on their 5 days off to see a new baby born in John's family, to celebrate Julia's birthday with family and to exchange Christmas presnts with everyone since they could not be here in December.

I was requested to cook Julia's favorite meal....Roast Beef, rice and gravy and Joshua's yeast rolls.  I added a family favorite of Broccoli covered with white sauce and cheese.  I had a ball in my kitchen cooking a 10 lb. sirloin tip roast  as per "Emeril" and it came out excellent if I must say so myself!  Nana (the other grandma brought fresh fruit salad, cajun rice dressing and 2 KING CAKES....yes, it's that time.  Alicia had of course brought the Birthday Cake decorated in "rock star" motif and Julia dressed like Hannah Montana.  It was a fun day, complete with Miley Cyrus music!
Julia James (9 years old)
Here's the progression of the food...
I did the tradtional (my family) stuffed roast ....stuffed with garlic and green pepper...cutting slits in meat I season with a rub....into the slits and all over then stuffing with the garlic and green pepper...now this was a 10 lb. sirloin tip roast so I used about 5 or 6 toes of garlic and about l/2 pepper...the rub I used was Emerils Essence which I made up from Emeril's recipe which he posts with many of  his  recipes.  After seasoning and stuffing I dredge the whole thing with flour and then brown in a large skillet.

After browning I put into a large roasting pan (I needed my oven for other things),   I love the Nesco Roaster for large roasts, turkeys, etc.  I baked at 325 degrees for about 4 hours (l/2 hour per lb.)  If cooking in a regular oven I put in granite roaster and bake at 350 degrees...see earlier posts...(The Way Momma Did It)

this is a 12Qt. roaster and the 10 lb. roast and a 12 lb. turkey fits perfectly
While that was baking I started on the white sauce for my broccoli casserole:
added grated cheese

poured over steamed broccoli and topped with more grated cheese
and of course the "Joshua" rolls.....rising to to be baked

Josh loves bread and rolls and especially these yeast rolls...so we call them "Joshua" rolls
Josh is on the left, Lindsey (neighbor) is in back and Alexa (cousin) is next to the birthday girl, Julia.
Another cousin, Jacob, has his back to the camera helping with opening the presents!

The youngest at the party...twins Jessica and Katie had a good time too!

No comments:

Post a Comment